The Summit is a credit union, not a bank.
Both credit unions and banks offer financial products and services. But a credit union is a not-for-profit cooperative owned by its members (like you). Banks are for-profit corporations owned by investors and stakeholders, where you’re merely a customer.
Banks make money for shareholders
At a bank, all your transactions are structured so that the bank makes money. That profit goes to shareholders as a dividend or increased share price.
Credit unions make money for our members (you)
Credit unions, on the other hand, operate to serve members, each of whom owns a piece of the cooperative. For example, at The Summit, loan interest gets returned to our members as better rates, fewer fees and enhanced technology, and helps us stay healthy for the benefit of all members.
Our focus is to provide for our members
The Summit exists solely to provide needed services to our members and help members stay financially healthy. That’s why we offer so much financial education, often charge fewer and less expensive fees than banks charge, and try to offer the very lowest rates on products like loans and credit cards. Our focus is you.
Our Promise to our Members
As a member of The Summit Federal Credit Union, here is what you can expect from us:
- We promise to provide quality service and competitive prices
- We promise to treat your records and transactions like our own
- We promise to be respectful and courteous
- We promise timely response to requests, inquiries, or suggestions
Member Conduct Policy
The Summit Federal Credit Union has adopted the following policy that applies to member conduct. This policy protects The Summit‘s members, visitors, employees and property from individuals who are or may be threatening or abusive. The policy speaks to ensure that all parties’ rights are protected. Unacceptable member conduct or behavior may include but is not limited to:
- Abusive, vulgar or intimidating language
- Threats, intimidation or acts of violence
- Harassment of any type, including sexual harassment
- Damage to or interference with The Summit’s property or systems
- Unlawful acts
- Other abusive or disruptive behavior
- Abusive contact of any sort
- Injury or threatened injury to any member, visitor or employee (kicking, fighting or other harm)
- Possession, sale, use or being under the influence of an unlawful or unauthorized substance while on The Summit’s property
The following sanctions may be imposed against a member who has engaged in misconduct:
- Denial of any and all member privileges with the exception of maintaining a regular share account and the right to vote at annual meetings. Privileges are defined as Summit products, services, loans, access devices, branch service, etc. other than maintenance of regular share savings account
- Preclusion from any personal contact with Summit FCU employees including access to credit union premises or member service center
- Any other action deemed necessary that is not expressly precluded by the Federal Credit Union Act, the National Credit Union Administration and New York State’s Workplace Violence Protection Law
We partner with our members, and our community.
Giving back is part of our culture.
We believe that a large part of providing for our members is to support the communities in which they live and work. Investing in the community is an investment in you, and we are proud to give back to local organizations and events that strengthen our community. This culture of giving even extends to The Summit’s employees. In 2017, our employees (approximately 240) contributed over 7,200 hours volunteering: an incredible number!
We invest in the latest services.
The Summit is committed to providing the latest technology geared toward the way our members use financial services today. Our Online Banking, Mobile Banking and advanced ATMs give our members 24/7 secure access to their accounts. We are constantly upgrading our facilities to be safe, convenient and hassle-free.
We are local, but are part of a nationwide network.
The Summit serves members in Western and Central New York State. Yet, we’re part of CO-OP Shared Branching, a network of 3,500 credit unions that gives members nationwide access to over 5,000 shared branches.
We listen to you.
Member feedback has spurred us to make many of our most recent upgrades and new products. We built a branch in Camillus because our members wanted one there, and we included into the facility those technological enhancements members told us are important. Members wanted credit cards with robust rewards and benefits, so we created our new Signature and Platinum Visa Credit Cards with Rewards. And our new Taft Road and Cortland branches were built specifically to accommodate the features that members asked for, such as drive-through and ATM lanes, more private meeting spaces and convenient locations.
We make things easy.
Joining us is easy. We only require a $5.00 deposit to become a member of The Summit and start taking advantage of all that we offer. Learn more about The Summit’s membership benefits.